Wednesday, March 4, 2009

My MeMe's Famous Enchiladas


I made my Meme’s famous enchiladas today. My Meme and Papa use to vacation in Acapulco back in the 1950's-1970's. There was a great Mexican restaurant that they loved to go and order their enchiladas. An elderly Mexican woman owned the place and became good friends with my grandparents. One of their last trips to Acapulco the woman gave my Meme her enchilada recipe. The following summer they returned only to find out that the woman had passed away. My Meme gave me the recipe and I make them for my family & friends. I'm the cook in the family. You'll find me in the kitchen most days. Cooking is like gardening to me (very relaxing). I enjoy making yummy treats for my friends.

Look at the adorable dish towel my friend from Seattle sent me. Isn't it cute? She knows I like to collect dish towels for my kitchen. We use to be neighbors when I lived in northern California. We use to go to the blackberry festival. They had blackberry jam, blackberry cobbler, blackberry everything!!! Yum, I think I'm going to run to the store and pick up some frozen blackberries for a blackberry cobbler.

My Meme’s Enchilada Recipe

1/2 lb. ground meat
1 c. shredded carrots
1/2 c. sweet onion (cut into bite size)
1/4 c. chopped green onion
12 corn tortillas
1 c. red enchilada sauce (I like mine hot)
2 c. mozzarella cheese
1 c. sliced black olives
Casserole dish

1.) Brown meat with carrots and sweet onion. Once cooked drain the juice.
2.) Heat corn tortillas in the microwave for about 20 seconds to easily fold them.
3.) Empty enchilada sauce into a bowl. Dip half of corn tortilla into the sauce and place into a casserole dish.
4.) Spoon meat into the folded corn tortilla and sprinkle with cheese. Roll up corn tortilla and place a toothpick to hold securely. Repeat until casserole dish is full of tortillas.
5.) Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the tortillas.
6.) Sprinkle with cheese. Then garnish with green onion and black olives.
7.) Place in oven at 350 degrees and cook for 25 minutes.

Add a yummy side salad and Spanish rice for sides.

1 comment:

Jill said...

YUM... the enchiladas looks so good. It's really late and I'm kinda hungry. That's so bad. Thanks for the recipe.