Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Where are all the Sea Lions?

I just finished watching a news clip this afternoon regarding San Francisco. Being raised in Northern California I'm always reading and keeping my eye on their local news. I was absolutely shocked to hear of the disappearing Sea Lions at Pier 39. What?!!! The Sea Lions have made Pier 39 their home since...well, my entire life. I couldn't imagine ever visiting Pier 39 and not seeing them. What on green's earth is going on? Where did the beloved creatures go? And why now? I suppose the California economy is so bad that even the Sea Lions have decided to move out of state. Hmmm, I wonder if they were foreclosed on? Those darn subprime loans, LOL. Ok, enough California jokes. However, I'm a true native so I can get away with it.



It's so sad to see the Golden State have so many problems. I remember when we were newlyweds we lived by the marina. My husband was working at large health system in the area. We had a small 1 bedroom apartment that was less than 600 sq ft and we were paying a hefty monthly lease for it. But I wouldn't trade that experience for anything in the world. I have so many lovely memories of our little place. We didn't have A/C (was N/A) because it rarely got over 70's. If you have ever spent any time in San Francisco you'll know it's chilly. You can always spot out a tourist because they'll have on shorts and a Pier 39 sweatshirt, LOL. I can't imagine how much money those little shops make selling tourists sweatshirts. Everyone thinks California is all beaches and palm trees. Not so. Northern California is cool and breezy. And don't get me started on the Sacramento Valley....hot, hot, hot. It snows in the winter and gets up to 119 degrees in the summer. However, I do find myself missing it.





One of the things I miss most is waking up to the boat horns and hearing the seagulls. Sometimes I would drink coffee on our deck and watch the fog lift during those chilly winter mornings, snuggled in a sweater and fuzzy slippers. I do miss the California and the cold weather. Quite different from the Houston weather I live in currently. And now after spending more than 8 years in the South I couldn't imagine leasing a place without A/C. However, I feel that I'm fortunate to be able to have lived so many places. I love to travel and I never miss the opportunity to take advantage of the city I presently reside in. I know Houston will not be the final destination of our journey so I try to take full advantage of the city while I'm here. I'm sure one day I'll look back on Houston and remember little things that make my experience special.

However, I'd be lost if our Longhorns decided to move. Again, where on earth did those adorable Sea Lions go? Something smells awfully fishy if you ask me.




















1 comment:

Lexilooo said...

I went to SF two years ago for a work conference and adored it. I wish I'd had more time to spend there, but I know I will go back! I loved the sea lions, and was really sad when I saw this news story as well!