Wednesday, December 2, 2009

True meaning of Christmas

One day Jesus will return to establish his kingdom in Jerusalem




Luke 2:1-7
1 In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world. 2 (This was the first census that took place while Quirinius was governor of Syria.) 3 And everyone went to his own town to register.

4 So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. 5 He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child. 6 While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, 7 and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.

This is called, Grotto the Nativity, located beneath the Church of Nativity in Bethlehem. This is where Jesus was born.



Mary's well in Nazareth



Part of the church where Jesus began teaching as a child




When I was younger my grandmother would travel to many exotic places around the world. I remember when she went to Egypt and rode camels to the pyramids (she sent me an Egyptian necklace). I remember when she traveled to Asia and sent back wax dolls from China. But one of the most treasured gifts I still have today is my wooden camel she sent back from Jerusalem. The camel is hand carved out of olive wood. It's very similar to this one.





1 comment:

Jill said...

It's so nice to see a blog post about the true meaning of Christmas. I was just thinking about this tonight. I saw the Rockettes in NYC. In one of the segments of the show they read from the Bible and did a skit of the birth of Jesus. Honestly, I was shocked but in a good way.

Your grandmother sounds sweet. I love it that she used to buy you gifts from all her travels. I think the camel is awesome!