Thursday, July 9, 2009

Silver

My newest quest is searching for silver. Anything you put next to silver immediately transforms it to something elegant. I really enjoy finding old worn pieces. Yes, the imperfection pieces are my favorite. It has that old world charm that I absolutely adore. I can easily jazz it up with ribbon, china, or flowers. Currently I've been hunting down all the antique/thrift shops around Houston for serving spoons and silver napkin rings. I must say that I'm not as fortunate locating a deal for the antique napkin rings. The smaller rural areas I occasionally run by a shop that has no idea the small fortune wrapped up in these beautiful pieces. And sometimes if I'm lucky get a steal. But that hasn't happened in quite some time. A true antique napkin ring can date back centuries. Yet, I've only seen those in Europe. However, they do have napkin rings dated back to the Civil War. And they are completely out of my price range, LOL!

A single ring could cost anywhere from $75.00 to $400.00. Can you imagine a set for a table of twelve? I like my silver to be mismatched. It reminds me so much of the plantations. That is my goal is to have a Southern Plantation feel to my home. Oak Alley's dining room is so exquisite and I would do anything to own those serving pieces. Can you imagine entertaining in a home like Oak Alley Plantation? Well, I can only dream, LOL!


Serving pieces








Oak Alley Plantation



1 comment:

Jill said...

Yeah, I don't think I could pay $75-400 for a napkin ring but it sure would be fun.

Love the antique silver, such a fun item to collect.