Thursday, February 12, 2009

One of my FAVORITE movies


This is one of my favorite movies. This is a great story. If you haven't seen it I suggest you rent/buy it. I can relate to this movie soooo much and every time I watch it I cry like a baby. God can clean up your life and give you an amazing future. All you have to do is trust Him. This movie reminds me that trust in the Lord (especially when things look bad) is what true faith is all about. He might not show up when you want him but he'll be there right on time.

This evening my husband and I decided to take an evening stroll on a walking trail near our house. We like this particular path because it stretches along the San Gabriel river. It's beautiful and the best part, are the ducks. We love to feed the ducks. We'll stop by the market to pick up bread to throw at the geese and ducks that reside under the bridge. Tonight we were late and I noticed a man standing all alone looking at the ducks. We started talking (I've never met a stranger) and I could tell he was lonely. He and his wife just separated and they have a 4 year old son, Tyler. To make matters worse they relocated to the area and don't have any family or many friends. He was a good guy and was a very proud papa. He loves his son & he's really trying to rebuild his marriage with his wife (she has a drinking problem).

I know a lot of people that would say, "issues" and walk away. My husband worked in the Emergency Room for 14 years. I think most of society is unstable and I don't trust anyone. But I could see that this guy was truly a sweet man and he was just hurting. I said a silent prayer and I asked God what He wanted me to do. We really didn't have the extra hour to waste in our schedule but we stayed anyways. Before we departed we invited him to our church with us on Sunday. Guess what!!! He's coming and he is going to bring his wife and son. Wow, I didn't know how he was going to respond but his spirit was completely lifted up by the time we left. He had hope again and he told us, "You both really made my day."

Tonight I've been thinking to myself. Have we become a society that's too busy? Do we consume ourselves with selfish devices (cell phones, ipods, computers) that we've forgotten to communicate? When I was a kid we knew the neighbor's, postman, grocery clerks, etc. I couldn't tell you our neighbors first name let alone the last. Our society has become so distant and cold that we don't take time to build relationships; let alone each other. We are too busy to notice when someone is hurting and even if we do we do nothing about it. When did our culture become so cold? Is this progress? What will it be like when our children are our age? No wonder so many people are fighting with depression. No wonder there are so many divorces. No wonder there are so many hopeless people out there. Who really cares? It's so easy to get caught up in our own lives, schedules, and problems that we've become insensitive as the world. Here I'm a Christian and how many people have I truly invited to church? I need to step it up, y'all. I need to turn off the boob tube, stop texting as much, and cut the fat out of my schedule. I need to walk in the spirit and take time to smile, small talk, and listen to others. I can't change the world but I change me. Do y'all know what I'm saying? I would really appreciate if y'all would pray for Eric, Mary, & Tyler.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

OK, I hope you don't think I am nut...I have been sitting here reading your blog and this post is just great. I think we are all to busy and have boxed ourselves in (I know I have)...thanks for such good thoughts!