Tuesday, April 20, 2010

CRAWFISH!!!!


Do you know why I love April soooo much? Because it's CRAWFISH SEASON!!! We will be packing our bags and heading back home for an old fashion Louisiana crawfish boil. It's all about t-shirts, jeans, beer, friends, food, and good music. Life doesn't' get better than that (not in Louisiana).

The proper things to know about a Crawfish Boil ~

1.) Never wear anything nice to a Crawfish Boil. Those little mud bugs are full of hot spicy juices and will ruin your outfit. Old t-shirt and jeans or shorts is the proper attire. Besides, you don't want anyone to think you're a tourist. I'll tell you why in #2.

2.) When you grab a crawfish don't get one with a straight tail. That means that the poor craw daddy was dead before they tossed him in the boiling pot. The locals will push those aside and leave them for the tourist who don't know any better (yuck).



3.) You can always spot a good Crawfish Boil by what's in it. A really good one has all the fixin's such as corn on the cob, red potatoes, sausage, shrimp (lemon if it's a fancy boil).



4.) Everyone knows that you drink local beer with your crawfish. The local beer I like is Abita Beer. They have one out called Purple Haze. I like that one and a strawberry one they make.



5.) And a good Crawfish Boil has to have some good Louisiana music. One of my favorite Cajun bands is called, Mel Melton and the Wicked Mojos. We are big fans in my house.



How do you eat a crawfish?

* Grab a big one
* Pinch the tail
* Are ready for this? Suck the head. Sounds pretty gross but it's really good.

If y'all are ever in Southern Louisiana in the spring time you need to check out a Crawfish Boil.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Can you believe that I have never eaten crawfish?..I am ashamed of myself. Thanks so much for you sweet words and for stopping by! Made my day! Hope your having a wonderful week! xoxo

Trish {Pink Preppy Lilly Lover} said...

Hi beautiful! Oh your are making me pine away for Lousiana, I am dying for a crawfish boil! Every good Cajun Belle knows to peel 'da tails and suck 'da heads!! XOXO I could eat about 5 lbs worth of boiled potatoes and my weight in crawfish and be a happy camper! Hopefully one of these days we'll get to do a crawfish boil together Gigi! XOXOXOXOXO

Petunia said...

Yum!!! I am dying for some crawfish every which way that they come! Boiled crawfish, crawfish etoufee, ....
So sad that I am missing Jazzfest this year.
Hope you are doing well!