Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!


O God, when I have food,
help me remember the hungry;
When I have work,
help me remember the jobless;
When I have a home,
help me remember those who don't have a home at all;
When I am without pain;
help me remember those who suffer;
And remembering,
help me to destroy my complacency;
bestir my compassion,
and be concerned enough to help;
By word and deed,
those who cry out for what we take for granted.
Amen.
- Samuel F. Pugh

This Thanksgiving holiday is going to be extremely difficult on many American families. Across this great nation are those who have experienced job loss, foreclosures, bankruptcy, divorces, health issues, and many other heartbreaking tragedies. As Christmas begins to approach I'm sure guilt stricken parents will feel depressed and broken as they will not have the means to provide a financial blessing upon those they cherish most (their children). Perhaps some are feeling completely broken for they have lost their homes in the massive foreclosures that swept our country. There will be no gifts, Christmas tree, or holiday dinner. If you are one of these Americans I want to express that I will not forget you this Thanksgiving. You will be in my prayers as I pray for this nation.

I also want to send a word of encouragement. I say, to those who are in the midst of a dark storm, look forward. You have a future and even though you are struggling now don't give up. Don't let that dark day, dark month, dark year, or dark decade define your future and who you are. America was not built on financial wealth but faith. Faith in the true living God. Our focus has been selfish greed for many years as we concentrated on gaining possessions and wealth. But God and relationships are truly what makes a poor man rich. God gives hope to the hopeless and sends people in our lives to shower us with love. If you are feeling lost and helpless I can offer you the truth. You can have the BEST holiday season in your life if you are willing to cry out to God. Ask him for future and thank him for all he has done for you. Then love on those around you. No amount of money will provide the happiness and joy you will experience when you make your holiday about God and relationships.

"Give thanks to the Lord; for he is good; his loves endures forever." - Psalm 107:1

Wishing everyone a happy, healthy, and blessed Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Gigi, you're amazing! What a sweet and encouraging post. I hope you're having a wonderful Thankgiving. Love ya, friend!