Monday, September 14, 2009

Time to turn the page.....


Funny how life can drastically change within 24 hours. This month we've had a few curve balls thrown at us but we've managed to swing through them. I can't tell you that I would have survived without the strength of my faith and marriage. I have an entirely new appreciation for the phrase "bitter sweet" LOL....

My husband was working for a hospital development company and they merged with another company (turned out to be a hostile take over). They bankrupted my husband's company and walked into his office and laid him off without any notice or severance. We didn't see this coming and it was a complete shock. But instead of wasting our time with the "coulda's & shoulda's" we strapped on our boots and began marching through the circumstance. We needed a new strategy and fast.

My husband went back to clinical. He was in emergency medicine for nearly 14 years prior to going into hospital development. He's working with a doctor friend over at a ER clinic (not your typical ER). The clinic is the way to go if you are not seriously injured because the clinic is a "insured/private pay" only type of facility. This really makes a difference in a speedy turn around and you can be seen much faster. The doctor and investors are building these ER clinics around the Houston area and want my husband to be on the development team. By working a few shifts in the ER he's keeping his clinical skills up to date. So, all in all this is a good thing.

He's also pulling a few shifts at a surgical hospital in the OR (sports medicine). He loves it!!! He confided in me that he had thought of pursuing a career in sports medicine years ago (before we got married). I never knew that. I'm excited to see what will happen in the next year or so with his career. I wasn't thrilled when I received the call about his layoff and I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about our finances. It took nearly 3 1/2 weeks before he began working again and we had to dip into our Savings and cancel our vacation plans. But I can see now that it was necessary. God had opened an entirely new window of opportunity for us.
I can see that my husband is so much happier. He use to complain every evening about the daily politics in his previous position and 99% of the time they would call after hours (usually during dinner). And now he comes home smiling and has a much more peaceful spirit. He also makes more money and we get to spend more time together. Who would have thought that such a terrible event would have become such a fantastic opportunity? Sometimes we have to let go of what we consider security to grab onto opportunity and blessings. What I've learned from this experience is to not be scared to turn the page because you never know what's in store in the next chapter ahead.




4 comments:

Petunia said...

Wow--I didn't know all of this has been going on. I am so glad it is working out for the best!
Reminds me of one of my favorite Albert Einstein quotes "In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."

midnight macaroons said...

Ah, yes, I love Albert Einstein. I have a little Einstein doll next to my computer. He had many hardships that he overcame but always had the right attitude. My favorite quote by Albert Einstein is; "Try not to become a man of success. Rather a man of value."

If the majority of this country would honor integrity rather than wealth/power/pride just imagine how successful we'd be as a nation.

Petunia said...

Aaah--I love that quote!

Michelle said...

Oh my word. I truly can say we know where you are because something very similar happened to my husband about 6 years ago and we had NO warning and it was the Friday before Thanksgiving (yes, I remember his call so clearly). We were stunned, shocked and admittedly scared. I remember we had a dinner party scheduled that night and we went ahead and had it...but I think I was moving in shock more than anything. But, we dug in and he made finding another position his full time job and we were blessed with a great one very quickly! I am so glad things are looking positive for y'all as well. (((hugs)))